Our student’s academic success is a large focus of the counseling department. School counselors work with students individually, in groups, and in the classroom setting to enhance and support the academic wellness and growth of our students.
We all learn differently but here are some things that everyone can do no matter what type of learner you are:
- Take good notes, pay attention, and ask questions.
- Start studying before you need to; don’t “cram” if you don’t have to.
- Get rid of homework distractions. Put your phone on silent or keep it in another room.
- Look over your notes every night to check for understanding.
- Ask for help when you need it.
- If you can teach it to someone else, you know it.
There are a lot of helpful websites and online tools that students can use as study aids. Here are a few that we recommend:
Khan Academy: https://www.khanacademy.org/
ACT Test Prep: https://www.act.org/content/act/en/products-and-services/the-act/test-preparation.html
AP Exam Prep: Go to your College Board account for more information, study tip, and
practice exams. Or click here https://apstudents.collegeboard.org/ap-exams-overview/practice-for-exams
ACT/SAT Study tips
Come visit us in the counseling department we have numerous study aids.
This link is to a recent article about Khan Academy and ACT/SAT test prep:
- Take practice tests regularly to learn pacing and to get comfortable with the test format. Practice, practice, practice.
- Get a good night sleep the night before the test.
- Eat a healthy breakfast on test day.
- Stay calm and do your best.